An exercise bike is a great addition to any home gym. Exercise bikes contribute to aerobic endurance, anaerobic strength, and overall joint health. But perhaps best of all, an exercise bike can help contribute to healthy weight loss.
Cycling has proven valuable in burning unwanted belly fat, among other health benefits. How does this work? Well, exercise bikes are uniquely designed to tax both the aerobic and anaerobic systems, causing quicker depletion of energy developed from glucose. The body utilizes energy from glucose first, then obtains energy from fat stores once glucose is depleted; therefore, cycling burns fat at a higher rate than most other exercise methods.
To upgrade any gym with an aerobic/anaerobic, fat-burning machine, these are some of the best brands to consider.
Geared more toward avid biking fanatics, NordicTrack's most economical bike is priced at $499; however, their average bike price is around $1,000 and can cost as much as $2,999.
Some of their most popular bikes are:
- The NordicTrack GX 4.7. Priced at $799, it is specifically designed for beginners. It is equipped with 22 resistance levels, 24 built-in workouts, and a 5" high-definition screen for iFit coaching.
- The NordicTrack Commercial VU19. It has a wide-set cushioned bike seat for a more comfortable ride, a tablet holder, built-in heart monitor system, touchscreen controls, and is priced at only $999.
- The NordicTrack Commercial S22i Studio Cycle. This bike is equipped with the traditional narrow-set seat, built-in heart monitor, Google Maps connection for simulated outdoor rides, and a 22" touchscreen for iFit coaching services.
Echelon exercise bikes are geared toward economical buyers. However, only their top-tier models have an option for virtual training classes.
Their Smart Connect bikes are:
- The EX-1. Its notable features are dumbbell holders and display monitor that tracks calories and distance.
- The EX-3. This bike is equipped with all the best features Echelon bikes have to offer, including 32 levels of magnetic resistance, a dumbbell rack, water bottle holder, and a 2-year subscription to FitPass. The price for this bike starts at $1,039.98 and goes up to $1,599.98 with the 2-year pass.
Peloton offers one bike with multiple package options. The appeal of the Peloton bike is its constant connection to spinning classes with elite trainers around the world.
Their packages include:
- Basic. This is the bike only (plus a warranty and setup), which is equipped with 32 levels of magnetic resistance, a 22" touchscreen, and dual-use handlebars. The price for this machine is $2,245.
- Essentials. This package includes the bike, cycling shoes, headphones, and bike weights. The price is $2,404.
- The Works. This package includes the bike, shoes, weights, a bike mat, headphones, and a heart monitor. The price for this package is $2,494.
- The Family Package. This package includes double of everything the Works Package offers (except for the bike, weights, and mat). The price for this is $2,694.
SlimCycle has designed an exercise bike specifically for weight loss and toning.
They offer the SlimCycle 2-in-1 Exercise Bike. This bike starts at $199.95. It weighs only 42 pounds, making it easy to move. It also includes a backrest for the seat, 8 adjustable resistances, resistance bands for arm workouts, and a monitor that tracks calories burned.
ProForm offers a wide selection of exercise bikes, with their most popular being the famed Tour de France Bike, which simulates the entire Tour de France race.
Their bikes include:
- The ProForm 235 CSX Recumbent Exercise Bike. Priced at $255.89, this bike is great for those suffering with lower back problems. The back of the seat reclines slightly backward to take pressure off the spine and shoulders of its user. It has 18 resistance levels, a bottle holder, and is pre-programmed with 18 workout routines to follow.
- The ProForm Tour de France Pro bike. Those who have always wanted to try to bike the Tour de France can do just that with this machine. It is pre-programed with Tour de France workouts, which users can see on the 10" monitor.
Nautilus is geared toward the everyday consumer. Their bikes range in pricing from $299 to $699. The features are similar across all models, but vary according to your size and seating preferences.
Their most common bike is:
- The Nautilus U614 Upright Bike. It will get the job done with 20 levels of resistance, an LCD display monitor, and a tablet rack. Furthermore, its small size makes it easy to store. It costs $299.